Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Craiova for the Day

I've been sleeping every night in Draganesti since arriving on the 9th, and the original plan was that the rest of this week, starting tonight, I would stay in Craiova.  Plans change pretty quickly around here, though, and it was decided yesterday that instead I would just spend a full day there today and come back to Draganesti in the evening.  While I had been excited to get to know Craiova better, there are so many people and ministries that I love here in Draganesti also, and I'm glad I didn't have to say goodbye to this place just yet. 
Draganesti looking prettier than usual
Some roads were clear, others, not
so much



That being said, it was a full and encouraging day in Craiova!  It snowed overnight again, a little deeper this time, and Draganesti was so beautiful in its white blanket.  Alecs was my trusty driver yet again, and our Canadian friend Mike and his son Sam came along, as well as a guy Raul had hired to do some construction work at the Craiova church.  Alecs and I made a Starbucks run when we got to Craiova (I'm quite familiar with the Craiova Starbucks at this point), then jumped right in to Raul's teaching.  Every Tuesday the Equipping to Equip group meets.  There are 8 students who have practical mission projects and receive Biblical training and support in what it means to be a missionary.
Raul and his 8 students
I loaned my Romanian Bible to a friend


I got to sit in on some dynamic teaching and discussions, was pleased to understand much of what was being said, and also had some specific roles Raul had assigned me ahead of time, like bringing back food for everyone for lunch, talking about different models of churches and giving examples from the US, and accompanying each of the students when we went out to do evangelism in the city.  I also got a chance to interview each of the students about their mission project and prayer requests and needs, and it was such a joy to get to know this group.  Most of us went out for dinner at the mall afterward, then made the now-familiar trek back to Draganesti.  

Canadian friends help Nicu take down a wall
in the church building
I was reminded in Ecclesiastes yesterday that it is a grievous thing when God gives good things to a person but does not also give him the power to enjoy the good things.  I'm thankful for the many good things I experienced today - the joy of fellowship, the beauty of freshly-fallen snow, a delicious warm coffee on an icy morning, laughter with friends from around the world, teaching from God's word, the sound of a beautiful language and the ability to sometimes speak and understand it, a cozy room to sleep in, cookies and conversation before bed, and so much more - and I'm reminded that some people might experience each of these things and yet not experience the deep enjoyment that they bring, and not know the Giver of the gifts.  So tonight, I am thankful that I am thankful.

Beautiful Craiova

No comments: