Saturday, March 24, 2018

Farewell Draganesti, Hello Bucharest

Tonight, I am tired.  My feet are tired from much walking and much freezing (next year, weather-proof boots!), my arms are tired from lugging a suitcase around this snow-packed city, my mind is tired from trying to function on my own after being cared for so well by others these past two weeks, and my heart is tired because leaving Draganesti is never easy and I miss my friends already.

And yet, despite my tiredness, I am also happy.  Hard goodbyes mean that sweet fellowship was shared, tired feet and arms mean I haven't stopped adventuring, and my tired mind gets to rest some tonight as there's nothing to navigate and nobody to awkwardly try to speak Romanian to.  And while I'm still awake, I want to get some of these past 48 hours' memories on record.

Yesterday morning, I took an early morning walk to the church through SO. MUCH. SNOW.
Walked to the bank to exchange money...but where is the bank?
Delivering tracts
The town was practically shut down, schools closed for the day, and neighbors one by one coming to dig themselves out.  It was breathtakingly beautiful.  And breathtakingly cold.  I walked down with Alex, who goes to the church and lives in the house where I was staying, and he did not agree with me that it was beautiful...partly because it is his job to clear the church driveway and courtyard.  We got cheap cappuccinos (have I mentioned how much I am going to miss cheap and readily available cappuccinos??) and pastries from the store across the street from the church while trying to figure out where the key to the church was...anyway, we eventually made it inside. The day was filled with random tasks to help with at the church, errands to run, and some more delivering of pamphlets around town.  Then last night was small group night.  I went to the same group I went to a year ago, but in a different house and with lots of different people.  What a deep joy it was to sing songs and pray with this group, and a perfect way to close out my time in Draganesti.
Small group
  After a post-small group dinner and conversation back at the house with the Finns and Christy, we all went our separate ways.

my traveling buddies at the train station
The first guy we met on the subway was also a believer. 
We gave him a tract, and he gave us new testaments! 
Today, the 2 guys from Finland and I got an early morning ride to the train station.  It was so nice to ride the train WITH people this time around, and the train was a nicer, newer one.  We were on the 2nd floor, which was also a first for me, and the trip went really quickly.  When we got to Bucharest, it was a little challenging.  My original plan had been to take an afternoon train and go straight to the place where I'm staying, but riding in on the morning train with friends sounded like a better idea.  What was not a good idea was lugging a giant suitcase all around the streets of the city, which were still packed with snow and ice, while trying to play tour guide to two fast-paced guys in a city I've only really explored 1 time, 2 years ago.  We eventually needed to part ways because we had some different ideas of how we wanted to spend that time, and they had a train to catch soon anyway.  I did some slower solo exploring after that but was cold and tired, and was SO happy to arrive at my Airbnb, meet my friendly host who quickly grabbed my suitcase for me, and take off my wet boots and socks.  After settling in, I went walking again, with a much lighter load, took some fun pictures, visited my favorite bookstore, and went to a restaurant recommended by my host.  Old town, which is super close to where I'm staying, is full of tourists and lots of English-speakers or other foreigners.  This restaurant, though, was not in old town and was off the beaten path.  I may have been the only non-Romanian in the building, and the food was authentic and delicious.  I rushed through it though, because I'd taken a table reserved for later, and so I was able to make it "home" to my Airbnb before dark.  It's lovely here, and cozy and warm, and I am eager to rest.  Here's hoping I figure out Europe's spring time-change tomorrow...I have a friend calling me to confirm the time in the morning :-)

Nope, I don't think I'll sit there...
statues by the university
I made it to the beautiful bookstore


Tonight's dinner: a Transylvanian 
chicken dish and a mint lemonade
Resting in my Airbnb

No comments: