Saturday, March 19, 2016

Brasov to (Bucharest to) Constanta

Currently, it's a bitterly cold night outside.  I'm enjoying a lollipop and watching The Incredibles on tv, in Romanian.  Pretty glamorous, right?

my cozy room in Brasov
It's been a surprisingly good day.  I was dreading it a bit - leaving Brasov when I love it so, and having to take 2 taxis and 2 trains all in one day.  But everything went so smoothly!  I stopped at a fun little streetside bakery that I'd gotten lunch from yesterday, and picked up breakfast before even catching my cab.  I knew not only where to catch the cab but how to check for a legitimate one this time, and by God's grace there was an honest cab driver waiting right where I wanted him to be.  I got to the station in plenty of time, and the first train ride (from Brasov to Bucharest) was completely beautiful.  I even had my little area to myself for awhile on the train, so I felt free to take pictures without being embarrassed.
through-the-train-window pics never quite
capture the beauty. 

no other passengers in my little pod yet :)




















I was nervous about Bucharest - it's a really big city and less safe than other Romanian cities, and I wasn't super excited about spending 2 hours in the train station.  But this, too, went well.  A coffee shop greeted me immediately upon my arrival, and I was able to read there until it was time to catch the next train.  This also went well.  The train was more crowded, but the 3 other ladies in my area were sweet.  They spoke Romanian to each other, and I just smiled and listened, and it was fun to hear this sweet little old Romanian lady complaining about kids these days and their tablets that they play with all day long.  Not just a problem in the US, I suppose :-) We crossed what I thought was the Danube, and I took pictures, and then we crossed the actual Danube, and I took some more pictures.  Also, it snowed during both of my train rides!  I've never been in Romania while it's snowing, so that was another fun first.
what I thought was the Danube

the actual Danube

entering Constanta county

My arrival in Constanta was the first arrival in a new city in which I didn't have to stop and regroup before leaving the train/bus station.  I followed the crowds to the taxi stand, got another taxi, and my Airbnb host was waiting for me at the curb when I arrived!  I was inside the apartment less than 15 minutes after getting off the train!

spooky empty square
After my host left, I tried to go find dinner.  Let me tell you, this city had me a little spooked.  I walked toward what is supposed to be one of the main squares, and I'm telling you, it could have been a scene from some sort of apocalyptic movie.  There are these big, old buildings, that are mostly really grey, and the square was empty apart from maybe 5 other people, and it was snowing (which was probably part of why nobody was out and about).  I turned around, and on my way back to the apartment I found some live people and some cute restaurants, but by that time I decided I didn't have time for a sit-down dinner before dark, and I was a little nervous to be out after dark here, at least while everything seemed so empty.  So I stuck my tongue out, caught a couple snowflakes for good measure, and came back to the apartment.  Which leads us to where I am now.  I ate some crackers for dinner, and am having a lollipop for dessert (earned from yesterday's tour guide for answering some Romanian trivia questions), and now The Incredibles is ending so we'll see what else my evening holds :)

This apartment is amazing - every window faces the sea, and I have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room.  I'm here for 3 nights, which is the longest I've stayed anywhere since Draganesti at the beginning of my trip.  I have plenty of things I'd like to see, but I also may spend some time just sitting in a comfy arm chair and gazing at the Black Sea while I read a good book or something (especially if the weather stays this way!).  It will be good to rest before Bucharest!

the view from my living room window!

That's all for tonight!

2 comments:

Rachelle Thomas said...

When I showed my doctor your train stub picture you shared awhile back, he was like, "Where she is going is boring...I would not go there if I went back home." Lol Praying you are having a wonderful trip and can't wait to hear about it!

Krista said...

Ha! Yeah I got that reaction a lot about that first city...but he would probably not say the same about the cities I've been to since! :)