Friday, March 4, 2016

Returning to Romania

I haven't blogged in 11 months, but today seems like a good day to start again.  I love the idea of blogging while I travel, but I don't know yet if that will be realistic, so here is Blog Post #1 of 1 or maybe more related to this trip to Romania.

11 years ago, I took my first trip to Romania.  10 years ago, I went again.  9 years ago, I went again.  8 years ago, I was pursuing the idea of moving there long-term, of being a full-time missionary in the country I had grown to love so deeply.  For a variety of reasons, that didn't happen, and so now, by God's providential mercies, I get to go again to a place that I haven't stopped thinking about for 9 long years.

One of the things that I've thought much about these past few weeks is just how much has happened in 9 years:

When I last went to Romania, I wasn't even a music therapist yet, at least not officially.  I hadn't taken the board exam yet, hadn't gotten my certification, hadn't landed my first job, hadn't met my first client.  I hadn't yet experienced what came several years later, when music therapy in Arizona kind of fell apart and I had to make hard decisions about staying or going.

When I last went to Romania, I hadn't yet started dating the man I thought I would marry. I hadn't experienced all the sweet joys of that relationship with him.  I also hadn't yet endured the heartache that came when that relationship had to end.

When I last went to Romania, I hadn't yet walked through my 2-ish years of dark days, of a season of sadness in which, time and time again, God proved to be enough through stormy seas.

When I last went to Romania, I hadn't yet met either of the roommates who are now such an important part of my life.  Many others of the dear people in my life now had also not yet entered the scene.

When I last went to Romania, I had never even heard of the company where I work now.  I hadn't known the joys of being a part of that family, hadn't learned the million and one things that now make up my days, hadn't yet fallen in love with the 100+ faces who keep me doing what I do.

When I last went to Romania, I didn't have a brother-in-law, and I didn't have nephews.  My sister's engagement happened while I was there!

When I last went to Romania, I vividly remember the last night.  I remember crying as I said goodbye to friends there, knowing that I wanted to return and return soon, but knowing also that I couldn't know if that would happen or not.  I remember clinging to every last Romanian word I heard on the plane ride west.

So today, amidst excitement and anxieties about the trip, I am also overwhelmed with thankfulness.  I'm thankful for the God who is kind to His children.  I'm thankful He has not stopped working in me, has not stopped working in Arizona, has not stopped working in Romania. I'm thankful that His timing is perfect.  I'm thankful that his answer of "not yet" in 2008 was not a "never again."

I covet many prayers on this trip: that I would be safe, that I would be a help to the people I meet and to the students that I'm chaperoning for the first week, that I would trust the Lord when things don't go as planned, and, most of all, that I would honor my King, who is sending me back at long last!

No comments: