Thursday, March 17, 2016

Cluj to Brasov

Tonight, I am in the heart of the old city of Brasov.  After a very filling dinner and a long day of travel, I am so ready to sleep!  But first, a quick blog...

with Iulia and Ana at Roata
Last night, I was able to go out to dinner with my Airbnb host, Ana, and her friend Iulia.  I had so much fun!  They took me to a traditional restaurant, Roata, where we ate traditional food, drank a traditional drink (and some wine), listened to traditional music, and appreciated traditional décor.  Ana has dreams of traveling the world one day, but for now she tries her best to engage her guests when they're in town.  She says it's the next best thing because she brings other cultures right to her door!  We had some great conversations, and they wouldn't even let me pay for my dinner!  I'm so glad that I love Romanian food now - this was not exactly the case during my earlier trips :) - and it was such a joy to spend the night out with people around my age.

waiting for the train in Cluj
Today, there is not much to tell.  I walked to the train station (I'm kind of afraid of taxis, so I ignored Ana and Iulia's advice to take one), and was then on a train for the next 7 hours! It was different than the trains I've taken so far on this trip but was like one that I rode in 2007.  Instead of a central aisle with seats on either side, there were compartments containing several seats.  Really, it just reminded me of the Hogwart's express. :)  I felt pretty isolated on the ride - my little pod contained 4 other passengers, who all got along very well and were talking and laughing throughout the trip.  I wish I wasn't so shy - I could very easily have said, in Romanian, that I only speak a little bit of Romanian and could have at least engaged them a little bit.  Instead, I just sat silently for the ENTIRE TRIP, aside from a couple comments in English with one of them.  Ugh.  I was so glad to get off that train, and thankful that the older man from my compartment actually followed me to the train door to help me with my luggage - that was such a kind gesture!



the one picture I wasn't embarrassed to take from the train, while
 all the other passengers from my compartment were out walking around
Once I got to Brasov, I was fought over at the taxi stand, and a man was following me telling me that the driver who was loading my stuff into his taxi was crazy and was charging me too much.  In that moment though, I didn't know who was telling the truth, and I didn't really want to argue with the guy who had my things, so I just decided to pay the 5 dollars (which is a lot here but still so reasonable in the grand scheme of things) and pray that I would at least be safe.  I was glad that my Airbnb host's dad was waiting at the curb for me when I got here, so at least it looked like I knew someone.  I was so relieved to get inside!

Since breakfast and lunch had both been from a train station vending machine, I was eager to find a good dinner.  I ended up getting brave and going to a sit-down restaurant by myself (I don't even like to do that in the states!) and it was delicious.  My apartment here is right in the heart of the old city, with narrow cobblestone streets and beautiful old buildings...and coffee shops!  I already have one picked out for the morning and am excited to start my day that way tomorrow for the first time on the whole trip! I'm also excited because, if the internet tells the truth, I will be able to take a guided tour in the morning also, leaving from close to where I'm staying.  It feels good to have a plan!

I took so few pictures today, it's pathetic.  I wanted to take more in my train car but was already feeling like an obvious American and was too embarrassed.  So today's picture selection is a bit sparse!

Ok, it's about bedtime for me - looking forward to an early start tomorrow!

2 comments:

Jean Howard said...

Hi krista hi Krista me Britney everybody will say hi to you and Christmas is you and Phillip Lim show everybody says hi and they love you too so I will call you soon have a nice day you have a good trip see you soon bye. Brittney and I are having lunch together. We miss you! Continue enjoying your trip!

Krista said...

Ah, I just saw this! So fun to hear from you guys! I miss you too!