Sunday, November 23, 2008

Look out, Arizona!

As usual, lots of stuff on my mind, but this is another one of those days where I don't feel quite ready to write any of it out. So I'll opt instead for what made me laugh today...

Our weather has been really warm lately, up in the eighties most of the week and coming close to record heat for this time of year. It's gotten a little bit ridiculous - many of us girls were wearing tank tops at some friends' house last night and the fan was running, and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I don't mind terribly, and LOVE the ability to be out and about outside when much of the country is icy and snowy. I walked to a coffee shop this morning in a short-sleeved shirt, jeans, and flip-flops and ordered my customary iced mocha while cooling off from my walk. Such is the life of a Phoenician. I do remember fondly my time living in New York, where checking the weather was important - figuring out if it was supposed to snow and how much, preparing for possible snow days and altered schedules and leaving extra time to drive on icy streets. Checking the weather here is not usually quite as crucial but I do it anyway.

So today I got on weather.com and was surprised to see a "special weather comment" under the "local weather alert" heading for the greater Phoenix area. I read the following:

A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN THE OVERALL WEATHER PATTERN WILL TAKE PLACE BY THE MIDDLE OF THIS NEW WEEK. A SERIES OF LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS WILL... GIVE US AN INCREASING CHANCE OF RAINFALL.

ALTHOUGH THE EXACT TIMING OF THE MAIN PRECIPITATION EVENT IS STILL UNCLEAR AT PRESENT... IT APPEARS LIKE WEDNESDAY INTO THANKSGIVING DAY APPEAR TO HAVE THE BEST CHANCES FOR SIGNIFICANT RAIN... WITH ANOTHER THREAT OF RAINFALL BY THE WEEKEND. IN ADDITION... IT WILL TURN QUITE A BIT COOLER... WITH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES BY THANKSGIVING DAY EXPECTED TO BE ONLY IN THE UPPER 60S TO LOWER 70S IN THE WARMEST DESERTS.

I literally laughed out loud. I love how they call it a "main precipitation event" and how the great climax of the warning is that by Thanksgiving, temperatures may only be in the 60s and 70s. BRRR! Will we ever be able to handle being only 40 degrees warmer than the rest of the country?? It's like someone at the weather service felt bad for us over here because we never get any weather warnings, and they gave us one and made it sound as ominous as such pleasant weather can sound.

Ok, well maybe my next post will be a little more profound...

No comments: