Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 for 21: Being an Advocate

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world*

Advocacy is a huge theme where I work.  We want to be advocates for our clients.  We want our clients to be advocates for themselves.  We want to seek out political leaders who can be advocates for our clients.  We want to ensure that parents and guardians are equipped to be advocates for their loved ones.  You get the picture...

Today, I learned of something - a decision made by the powers-that-be in my own workplace- that gives me the opportunity to be an advocate.  Let's be real: it gives me the opportunity to gripe and groan, to get frustrated, etc...OR I can be an advocate.

Probably no coincidence that this morning before work I spent some time reading Proverbs 10.  Proverbs 10 has much to say about many topics, but several of the verses mention our speech.  One of my favorites, which often convicts me: "When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent." 

So today I had much opportunity to restrain my lips, to keep my words few.  Tomorrow I get to try my hand at being an advocate in a way I rarely have as I meet w/the director of my department to discuss my concerns.  And I'm excited! I'm thankful that the Lord restrained my mouth today.  I'm thankful that I've been equipped to be an advocate.  I'm excited to try to put into practice all sorts of Biblical principles about respecting persons in authority over me, and not complaining in any circumstance, and using words that give grace to those who hear.  I DO respect my director, and I DO love my company, so the framework for respect has already been laid.  I don't have high hopes that my words will have their desired effect, but I feel like they need to be said.  And if I'm not heard, at least it won't be for lack of trying.  And life will go on, and my clients will be ok.  But if you are someone reading who loves the Lord, please do pray that my words would be heard.  And most of all, that I maintain my integrity and honor the Lord as I speak them!

No comments: