Tuesday, October 23, 2012

31 for 21: Successes

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world* 

This was a day with several noticeable successes, ones that are easy to think of.  These days don't happen all the time.

-one client asked me politely to take his cup to the sink.  This is a battle we've fought for a LONG time.

-my newest client to the room had a fun conversation with another client in the room who often remains quiet.  One of her objectives is to have a polite conversation with a peer each day.  Sometimes it feels a little forced as I manipulate things to sort of place people in conversations with one another.  This one, though, happened all on its own.  The newer client wanted to tell the other one all about every sibling, and was thrilled to find out that this other client had the same name as one of her sisters.  She relayed most of the conversation through me, but the other client was totally tracking, repeating each name and answering some questions.  Client number one's most common question was "Is she surprised???" She would say, "That's my sister's name - is she surprised?" or "His birthday is in September - is she surprised??"  It was just such a mutually beneficial interaction that was not at all forced by me, and it was lovely.

-in my session after work, I worked with my 20-year-old client on a song for her mom.  We've been writing songs for her mom ever since she was 15, it is probably her favorite music therapy task ever.  But it was so fun to note her progress.  And in recent months, she's learned to read music (albeit at a very basic level), which is honestly something I hadn't believed she'd conquer.  So fun to see these songs become more her and less me as she's able to both play and sing phrases with less and less help from me.  This songwriting was far from tiresome and tedious; we both had a blast and she was super psyched. 

There may have been more successes, but these ones came to mind.  I'm so proud of my folks and thankful to be a witness to the things they are accomplishing!

No comments: