Monday, October 1, 2012

31 for 21

I've been looking for an excuse to start blogging again, stumbled upon this, and am so excited:

"Down syndrome is medically known as Trisomy 21. Trisomy 21 is for the 3 copies of the 21st chromosome that individuals with Down syndrome have.

There are 31 days in the month of Oct.

The blog challenge is to blog for 31 days for (T)21. Blog every day in the month of Oct in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month."


I looked on the original blogger's page to be sure it wasn't something meant only for parents of people with Down syndrome, and it isn't.  Bloggers don't even have to write about Down syndrome each day; we are just encouraged to mention awareness on the site and to blog every day.  I'll be blogging a variety of things, mostly about those "little victories" that happen at work.  Most of the clients I work with do not have Down syndrome, but some of them do, and ALL of them have remarkably unique abilities and personalities. It's truly a blessing to be a part of their lives day in and day out, and something pretty cool happens every day.  So without further ado...

Today at work, there was an ASU intern interviewing 3 of the clients in my room.  These 3 clients are part of a "self-advocacy committee" that my company has put together, and they have a strong desire to share their story with people publicly.  So this sweet lady came in to interview them, to help them put their words on paper, so that they'll have a formalized "story" that they are able to leave with people whom they meet.

My 3 each had their time to sit and be interviewed, 1 at a time.  And even that was just so special.  I felt sort of like a proud mom, introducing each of them, prepping them and the interviewer for things that might be challenging.  When they'd finished, I got to go over what they'd said and check for accuracy.  I teased one guy because I was SHOCKED he'd forgotten to mention his bowling skills.  I laughed at the notes the interviewer had written on the ways my one lady's personality had shown through during the interview.  And while it was the first of the month and I had TONS of paperwork that I "should" have been doing, I sort of reveled in this sweet process, in letting these individuals whom I love so dearly show off a little, show who they are and what they think to this stranger, and hopefully soon, to more and more people.  They speak so frankly about their disabilities - this is simply LIFE for them, and they are not ashamed.  I love seeing them discover their own voice and learn how to use it. 

2 comments:

Nan said...

This is a great post! So wonderful to see you so proud, and for these individuals to have a chance to craft their story and tell it.

Michelle said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for joining in on the blog challenge! I just saw your comment about 'grabbing the button.' On my 31 for 21 post, right underneath the blog button is the html code, copy that code and then put that code on your blog post, or sidebar of your blog; when you're in html mode. Hope that helps!