Wednesday, October 31, 2012

31 for 21: Goodbye

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world*

Today was the last day for one of my clients, as he's transitioning to another day program.  And it worked out, because we had a potluck for Halloween.  And I am telling you, potlucks are absolutely this guy's favorite thing in life.  It was nice to answer all his questions today in the affirmative: Yes, there is a potluck.  Yes, you can have food at the potluck.  Fruit punch?  Sure.  More?  Sure.  Yes, we are going to the party.  Yes, everyone will be there.  I got to take him on a little goodbye tour around the building, too, which was sweet.  I've only known the guy for 9 months or so, but he's been with our agency for years, so there are many friendships that are hard for him to leave.  I got a little teary-eyed as I accompanied him on all his goodbyes.  But at the same time it was so sweet to see the community that has developed around him. 

And so I will end the month of daily blogging on that note: a goodbye, and a sweet community to be a part of.  Thanks for reading :-)

No comments: