Sunday, October 28, 2012

31 for 21: Community

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world*

Since yesterday was video day, I waited til today to really talk about yesterday's Down syndrome walk.  And because today gets extremely busy starting in about 20 minutes, I'm getting my blogging done early.

Arizona's Step Up for Down Syndrome walk was done in conjunction with Arizona State University's homecoming parade.  ASU happens to be my alma mater, so I was excited to be there for multiple reasons.  And I thought it was a really cool way to do the Down syndrome walk.  These walks are about raising both money and awareness, and yet, when done on their own, I am not sure if the awareness part happens quite as much.  This was cool because the Down Syndrome Network got to actually be IN the parade.  I'm pretty sure we were actually the largest group that walked in it.  And so kids and adults with Down syndrome, and their family and friends and advocates, got to walk down a street with people cheering on either side.  This is part of the reason I posted the video yesterday that I did (see the post "Special Olympics").  It's great when there is POSITIVE attention directed toward these folks.  It's even greater when that attention was not directed at them because they have Down syndrome but because they were in a parade.  They were just like any other float in the parade, just like any other group (except, in my opinion, more impressive). 

I was talking with the friend that came with me, about the importance of this community of support for people with Down syndrome.  And I read elsewhere online, probably in another 31 for 21 blog, about how it should be mandatory for physicians to hand out information about Down syndrome networks like this local Arizona one, immediately upon telling a family a diagnosis.  We all know that the abortion rate for babies with Down syndrome is appallingly high.  Families are told, in many cases, essentially this:  "Your baby has Down syndrome.  You can keep the baby if you want, but it will be hard.  If you want to abort it, here is how."  I wish the abortion option was non-existent.  But even if it is still on the table, the conversation really must go more like this:  "Your baby has Down syndrome.  There is a tremendous network of support for families such as yours.  We encourage you to contact this group with your questions and concerns, and to get to know some of these families and their children.  If you keep this baby, you will absolutely not walk this road alone." 

The families I walked with yesterday did not have the attitude of victims, of people afflicted with some tragic circumstance.  They walked triumphantly and joyfully.  Their kids were full of smiles.  The siblings of the kids with Down syndrome were having a blast and were so very proud of their brothers and sisters.  The parents greeted each other as friends.  And the ASU community was incredibly supportive.  What a sweet way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments: