Friday, October 26, 2012

31 for 21: Too Tired

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world* 

Ok, so I mostly forgot about blogging until right now, and need to be up at 5 tomorrow.  So this is titled "too tired" for 2 reasons. 

1)  I felt "too tired" today - not really physically, as I had actually gotten a good night's sleep and had a fairly large mocha before work.  But I was tired of everybody and everything at work (I'm 99.9% sure this is just temporary).  There were some really fun moments with our Halloween festivities, but the day-to-day stuff in the room just exhausted me.  I didn't want to take an hour convincing a client to open her mouth so I could feed her her lunch.  I didn't want to do the extra toileting for people that I always do on Fridays when we're one staff short.  I didn't want to be the only one who seems capable of pressing play on a DVD during movie time or of answering the phone when it rings.  I was worn out, frustrated, frazzled, and disappointed in myself for the way I was responding to the people and situations around me. 

2) I'm "too tired" right now to write much more.  BUT the reason I need to be up early is to walk in the "Step Up for Down Syndrome" walk, which happens to be coinciding with ASU's Homecoming Parade.  So I get to walk down my favorite Tempe streets with an organization I believe in, and I get to do so with a dear friend.

I'm very much hoping tomorrow will be a good reminder of just how glad I am to be involved in the disability community.  Today was one of those days that I sort of forgot what I was in this for.  I need to recalibrate.  And more importantly, I need to remind myself of the provision I have in the Lord.  He has given me everything I need for life and godliness, and that includes the ability to work joyfully and without complaint at a job I love, even when I don't like it much on a given day.  I can not only work joyfully and without complaint, but I can and should do this to the glory of the Lord.  Praying that would be more true of me next week, and that tomorrow - so long as I'm not too tired - will be helpful in recharging me.

No comments: