Sunday, October 7, 2012

31 for 21: Worth It

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world*

When I first started work in this field, just over 10 years ago, it was thrilling and exciting.  It was my first summer out of high school, and while most of my friends found work in retail or restaurants, I had found a job doing what turned out to be my absolute passion.  I loved going to work every day, loved working extra hours, loved even the hard days, loved the stories I came home with.  I made these remarkable connections with a bunch of kids with disabilities, and it was amazing.  People always said I must have a lot of patience, and I got to respond with all honesty saying I loved it.  I did! 

That summer job became my college job, became a side job while working on a related degree.  Then my internship in NY with the same type of population, then a career in music therapy began.  Then that music therapy career became the side job and I became a manager of two group homes and then of a day program room. 

In recent years, my love for this population has not decreased, but the naivete has.  Life as a care provider (direct support provider, music therapist, group home supervisor, day program supervisor) for people with disabilities has not stopped being incredibly rewarding.  I still can't think of any other field of work (aside from maybe full-time missionary or full-time mom) that would appeal more.  But this life is also grueling.  It is exhausting.  It demands all of me and more.  It DOES take patience, but not just the type of patience that means not losing your temper when someone does something challenging.  It takes a deep and abiding patience while you work day in and day out and don't always see change.  It takes patience when the overall pace of your day must be slow and fast at the same time, all day long.

This line of work is not glamorous.  There are days where I get excited about going to work and there are days like today where thoughts of going back the next day bring anxiety and weariness.  But in the long run, I think that makes it better.  I'm glad my work isn't easy - work isn't supposed to be.  and the fact that I have to do hard things and push harder when I want to rest, means that the many triumphs and joys of the job, when they come, are that much sweeter.  I have 16 clients to see tomorrow, and God has placed them in my life and me in theirs for a reason.  For many reasons, probably.  And tomorrow will hold challenges and maybe some defeats.  But it's worth it.

No comments: