Saturday, October 13, 2012

31 for 21: Love Chromosome

*I've joined a blogging challenge for the month of October: Blog every day in October in honor of National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (Down syndrome is medically defined as Trisomy 21, and there are 31 days in October, hence the name 31 for 21). My posts will not necessarily be about Down syndrome, but I am writing as a person who 1) loves many people w/Down syndrome and other disabilities and 2) desires for others to be able to see what I see: remarkably unique people with much to offer to the world*

I've decided to officially make Saturday "video day" on the blog this month, to mix things up and to give me a true Saturday as I don't even have to BLOG about work. :-) 

I was browsing through a blog I love (http://theworksofgod.com) and found on it this sweet video:
 
 
Of course, I don't think people with Down syndrome are inherently BETTER than people without an extra chromosome, just as I don't think they are worse.  We are all sinners, and only the love of Christ is a perfect love.  But I still love the sentiment, and I think this girl's pretty awesome.
 
 
And at the risk of sounding political, I will take this moment to also mention the sad truth: that something like 90% of babies with Down syndrome are aborted.  That statistic is simply sickening and heart-wrenchingly sad. Those babies are not even given a chance to love their lives, and some may call the decision to destroy that chance simply a "woman's right to choose."  I know that many (most, I hope) do not make that decision flippantly, but I still think a baby's right to live supersedes a woman's right to choose.  And I hope that as awareness of Down snydrome increases, parents faced with a Down syndrome diagnosis in pregnancy will see the many blessings that a person with Down syndrome can bring, and we will see changes in that apalling statistic.  Until then, I am thankful for the many people with DS in my own life.  I am thankful that they have a chance to love their lives and that I have a chance to know them.
 
 



No comments: